Saturday, August 18, 2012

Sabbath Eve Thoughts

My little bundle of energy is finally asleep.  
Whew! 
Finally!
This business of moving from two to one naps is wearing both of us out, but one of us is not willing to admit it at all. ;)  But when she goes down for the night, she is out!  And I have some time to, well, usually clean.  Or collapse early into bed myself.  Or wait up for my dear husband.  Or surf the web looking at fabric and patterns and reading other random blogs and homeschooling information. :) 

(And, by the way, I must apologize for the dearth of pictures lately!  Nate did show me how to get them from my phone to the blog but... I kind of forgot.  And haven't taken the time to figure it out again.  But I will soon! And you will be refreshed in the visual department, and delighted, as I am daily, with our beautiful, growing girl, and maybe even a shot of the growing baby belly too!)

Anyway, tonight, as I was laying there in the dark bedroom, putting Eden to sleep, feeling her little hands twining through my hair, I was pondering.  My phone was playing a recording of "Fishers of Men," and the beautiful music and testimonies both soothed my spirit and ignited my own chain of pondering.  The voices of the prophets diminished in my hearing, and I began considering the various parts of my life, questions I wanted to ask Nate about the Priesthood (as a side note, it is fascinating to me to learn from a priesthood holder all sorts of details about the priesthood and priesthood service that I never learned!) and opportunities to serve in various capacities that have been given to me.   
I have to admit, probably to my shame, that when I'm given a new calling, my first thought is not always joyful and excited.  In fact, oftentimes the first thought that comes into my head is, "Really?!  Why me?!"  Why me, sometimes in that I've-already-got-a-lot-on-my-plate, are-you-sure-you-want-me type way, but more often why me in the sense that I know very well my own limitations, struggles, and lack of experience and I know that there are other people who are much more qualified and better able to do this job!  
So I wonder, "Why me?"
But I say yes, because I'm not going to say no to the Lord, no matter how much I want to. (Please tell me I'm not the only one who has struggled with this!)

Well, tonight I realized that my YES is all He wants.
He doesn't need my skills.
He doesn't need my time.
He doesn't need my particular talents.
I'm not so special that He only wants me to fill this calling 'cause nobody else could do it, or do it better.
In fact, to mortal eyes, my own included, my serving in this calling might have no important effect.
He is able to do His own work.
He doesn't need me to do it.
What He needs, for His work and His glory, (that is, my immortality and eternal life) is my yes.  What He needs for His work and His glory (that is, the immortality and eternal life of all His children) is that some of us say yes.  He will work through us.  But we must say yes.
Of course, saying yes includes giving my skills, my time, my talents, everything I can and need to, to the particular ministry with which I am entrusted at the time, but beyond that, it lies in His hands.  The outcome, outside of me, is up to Him.  The outcome, inside of me, is up to me.  If I say yes to Him, regardless of what He asks and does with my offering, His work will be done in my heart and my life, 
and isn't that what I want?

I said yes when I was baptized.  And I meant it, with all my eight-year-old heart.
I had the opportunity to say yes again as I passed through the temple to receive my endowment,
and I did so, with much fuller understanding and intent.
So why does it matter now?
Why do I need to say yes when the Lord asks me to do this thing?
Because those yes's must be lived out every day, or in reality, what do they mean?

Anyway, just some thoughts on the eve of this week's Sabbath.  I can't do it all, sometimes I think I can't really do much, but I can say yes.  He'll do with it what He wants.  

And I'll get some pictures up tomorrow, I promise!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Morgiana. I have a friend to share this with who will love and ponder it for awhile.

    And have you found ChocolateOnMyCranium@blogspot.com yet? Montserrat shares a lot of her home-schooling stuff there. She also has two other blogs you'd love (and maybe more).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Bridget, I have definitely found that blog. :) There are so many out there, I often feel like "how will I ever remember this all, its so important!" but hopefully the gist of what I read sticks with me for future reference!

      Delete
  2. You paragraph starting, "Well, tonight I realized that my YES is all He wants"--amazing. Thank you for sharing these thoughts--they've really touched me. I might use some of your words somewhere if that's okay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allison - you're welcome to use the words, I feel like they are not mine as they came to me in pretty much just that format. :)

      Delete