Sunday, April 21, 2013

my dream job + reality/a humbling day

I love being a stay-at-home mother.
No, let me say that again.
I LOVE being a stay-at-home mother.
It is my dream job.
I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing!

These were the thoughts that ran through my head last Monday night, as I looked at my precious daughters lying on either side of me in peaceful slumber.  The room was darkened to a comfortable twilight by blackout curtains, and the memory-foam of the bed was warm enough to make us a cozy snuggle, but not yet warm enough to make us a sweaty pile.  I re-played the day in my mind.
Busy, it was, but with the calm, ordered busy-ness of just enough time and tasks to fit well together.  We'd gone for a walk outside, since the weather was finally starting to warm a little. (A high of 35, but that's great compared to 18!)  We'd read stories upon stories.  We'd danced to the Nutcracker.  I made our Monday night dinner of beans and bread, warm and fresh and filling and tasty.  The laundry was not only washed, it was folded and put away!  The girls had gone down peacefully for a nap, slept well, been cheerful all afternoon, and bedtime had proceeded like clockwork.  Daddy was home from an all weekend flying job.  Yes, I loved my life. 
I thought of all the ways that my job was the best.  :)
I am my own boss.  
I don't have to think about what I'm getting paid, how many hours I lack or am overtime, or losing my job.
I get to work with my favorite people.
I get to choose when and how I do what I have to do, and even (to a certain degree) decide what, exactly, I do have to do.
I get to pour out my best, my love, my enthusiasm, my desires, without stint.
I get to confront problems and then find and implement the answer. (I love to do that kind of trouble-shooting, research, whatever you want to call it!)
If I want to change things - I can!  If I like the way I'm doing it - I don't have to change!
I nuzzled my toddler's hard little head, butted up against my cheek, and gently squeezed my baby's soft, dimpled arm, and gloried in my blessings.

And then there was Tuesday.
Smack in the face reality.
Mom-Fail.
(At least that's what it felt like.)
Everything just started off on the wrong foot! I was distracted, Eden was excitable and mischievous, and Lucy was needy.  The morning was frittered away on unimportant bits and pieces, as all my nice plans and goals dripped down the drain.  Panties were wet (multiple times), food rejected and thrown overboard, and toys strewn hither and yon.  My patience wore thin.  Lucy was hungry but then had a burp and wouldn't settle to eat, or she finally slept only to be rudely awoken by Eden's loving ministrations.  My patience wore thinner.  Naptime came, finally!  The "reset" button to the day, if you will.  My hopes were doused when it became a huge power struggle - Eden wouldn't go to sleep, I wouldn't let her get up, so we all stayed on the bed til 2 o'clock, with Eden whining, kicking the wall, kicking her mama, standing on her head, burrowing under the covers, sucking on the wrong end of her water bottle, triumphantly getting up to go to the potty and then coming back and throwing a fit all over again at the prospect of laying down.  And of course, me reacting to each of her actions.  I knew I was making it worse, but I was tired and fed up and couldn't seem to break the cycle!  More than once, she got quiet, and then quieter, and stiller, and was alllllmost asleep....and then realized it and woke herself up again with silliness.  
So we got up, and she was a whiny mess of tired toddler, and I was a fed-up mess of tired mama, and what did I do? 
Basically ignored her for the rest of the afternoon.  
I know.  Not something I'm terribly proud of.  
I just did other stuff, took care of some emails, fed Lucy, and benignly neglected my Eden. 
Not out of calm, thought-out, mommy strategy, but out of sheer "I can't deal with this right now!" desperation.
Funny thing is, she whined about for awhile.  She tried to get me to engage. (I did; I wasn't being mean, I just took care of whatever she really needed and then left her to her own devices.)  And then she just started playing on her own.  She crashed her little bike and the kiddycar on the kitchen floor.  She scattered her (dry) beans all over.  She dumped out the Duplos, and piled her stuffed animals under the coffee table.  Books were here, there, and everywhere!  The house was a disaster.  
I just tuned out the whiny-ness and the mess, and wrapped myself up in a bit of calm.
Then I had to change Lucy's diaper.  I buzzed her chubby tummy, and made silly sounds at her.  Suddenly I heard Eden's giggle, and looking over, saw her leaning on the axle of her upside-down bike, watching us, and laughing uncontrollably.  She was a pumpkin, past the stage of irritability and coming into the slap-happy giggles.  
Who can resist a little girl giggling? Everything I did made her laugh harder, until I was laughing out loud too.  Reset.
We giggled and were silly, ate an improvised dinner, had a splashy bath and went to bed.

I still love being a stay-at-home mom, even on the hard days.  But those humbling days do make me not take myself so seriously!

2 comments:

  1. So PERFECTLY put! I have those same feelings and same days... nice to know I'm not the only one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, it is good to know we're not alone in the trenches, isn't it!

      Delete