Sunday, April 1, 2012

Alaska Living


This is the grocery store in King Salmon. "AC" stands for Alaska Commercial. Value center has got to be the owner's play on words - i.e., the goods are of value, but the value of the goods is through the ROOF! I'll make another post detailing the outstanding Alaskan prices.


"Alaskan directions", Nate said, "are like the directions you are given in Texas. I think I'll call it Big State Induced Direction Syndrome, or BigSIDS for short. When asking for directions they give you a large number of prominent (and sometimes not-so prominent) landmarks to follow that will finally lead you to where you don't want to turn. Then you turn at the next street or tree or fork in the road as needed."

Up here in Alaska the internet service is quite slow as compared to the speeds you can get down in the Lower 48, so google maps is not used. Most of the streets do show up on the google map but there again, not everybody pays attention to the street names - they just know where to turn because that's the way it has been for years. Cellular data is still at the 2G stage out here and that just recently happened. Some have smartphones capable of utilizing mobile GPS apps but it's still pretty slow. To interpret the map above: Our starting point was King Salmon. Follow the carefully placed arrows, always staying to the left. When you get to the end of the road there is a house (not depicted) where we bought some items at a garage sale.


The Alaskan Peninsula Highway. The longest paved road in these parts. It is 15 miles along this road from King Salmon to Naknek.


Ah..Bald Eagles, amazing birds. Mammoth birds I should say! This guy is probably just about 2 feet tall just sitting there. The other day we saw one come in and land on top of a different telephone poll - awesome landing! Hopefully we will be able to get a better pic of another one later! 


Going for a walk.



Our front porch.


Working with Dad at the computer desk. "I think the sippy cup is more exciting, Dad."

2 comments:

  1. OH my! I say that about everything here, bald eagles and all! You just need to get a husky dog now...;) I love Eden's snow outfit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummmm...so it comes up that I have a profile and I say to myself, "what in the world?" before I remember that I created a blog more than a year ago and never put anything on it!!!..haha...

    ReplyDelete